[mythtv] Digital audio passthrough

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 02:41:02 UTC 2010

Hi

On 15 September 2010 04:19, James Courtier-Dutton
<james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I try to open:
>> front:AES0=0x6,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2
>>

> What is "front" doing there. Use "iec958" instead of "front".

You've missed my point.

With 0.24 I tried to remove the need for a dual setup of the audio device.
So the user select one of the audio devices detected. We try to make a
best guess to check if this device supports digital audio or not ; if
we are sure it is a digital device or we don't know, the user has the
ability to check the AC3 and DTS boxes for configuring passthrough.

Before opening the audio device, we ran the equivalent of iecset on
the card the device is attached to. This worked so far, including for
people using ALSA:default. The only exception has been with Richard in
that ticket. I haven't had any reports that it wasn't working for
anyone else...

So what I've changed now, is instead when opening the audio device for
digital passthrough, I insert AES0=0x6,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2 in
the name.

It's working if the user selected ALSA:iec958 or ALSA:hdmi ; but they
are not the only two devices a user can select allowing digital
passthrough as far as alsa is concerned (in particular I'm referring
to the "default" which is returned during the enumeration of the audio
devices)