[mythtv] mythtv-setup storage groups

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:27:44 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM, gilles <choteau.gilles at orange.fr> wrote:

> strange answer, you prefer give to new users a partiel information and don't
> speak the capability of storage groups.
> And in the same time, old users don't use storage groups because they do not
> know what it is.
> I recently explain the capability of storage groups for the french users

It's not that strange-- Setup needs to be simple and comprehensible to
every person who attempts it.  Requiring a glossary to get through it
is going in the wrong direction.  I don't think the user should need a
primer in MythSpeak to set up a system-- it should only be required
when they (optionally) choose to get more involved in Myth internals.

In short, the average user wants to understand the instructions
presented, and have it "just work."  By .25 or so, most media should
be in Storage Groups, and those should be set up using a simple
backend setup process.  The user knows what directories are being
used, and he knows that when he starts a frontend on a new system, all
of his media is just "there" without any effort.  *That's* the kind of
setup we are aiming for (IMO).  The system works as the user expects
without any extra project-specific research being necessary.

Robert