[mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 24 18:25:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:56:27AM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> OK, I've been mostly ignoring this useless thread, but I can't let this
> one stand.  MythTV developers are not awful at making friendly user
> interfaces.

mythvideo requires you to hit menu and select rescan if some files were
changed before anything shows up.  I understand why it wants you to
tell it when to rescan for efficiency reasons, but as a user interface,
it is terrible.

I will say that it seems a lot of changes happening lately are working
towards making things better and more consistent (and eliminating
options users don't understand anyhow).

> This has nothing to do with lack of design skill.  MythTV is where it
> is--and needs work in some areas--for many reasons.  Developers lacking
> skill is not one of them.  I've been working with MythTV developers in
> various capacities for years, and they truly impress me with the level
> and variety of skills they bring to the project.  Included in the
> variety of skills that some of them bring is good UI design.

As I said, the functionality is amazing.  The UI's are pretty (well at
least I think some of them are).  The menu arrangements on the other hand
and how you have to do certain things.  At least you can do those
things though.

> OK, I'm just going to chalk the "offended by the scheduler" comment up
> to the fact that one or both of you don't know how to use MythTV
> scheduling ( http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html ) and you
> seem to think it should "do what I mean, not what I say."  Then again,
> maybe you mean the scheduling interface (which is still "the UI").

I think she wants it to do more than it currently does (easily).
I suspect it very well might be posisble using custom scheduling rules,
which I have never looked at, but then again I haven't found the scheduler
to be a problem in general.

I think custom is what she needs.  She wants to be able to record a
show whenever it shows from any of a list of channels, not just all
or one.  She wants to be able to delete something she watched and have
it rerecord it later, but not this week because it reruns 5 times in a
row and she doesn't want to waste a recorder on it.  Not sure how one
would do that one.  Being able to say 'record this show on any channel as
long as it is HD' would sure be nice.  Not sure how to do that right now.
It is also very convoluted to make a show rerecord once you delete it
unless you selected 'delete and rerecord' at the time you deleted it.
It's in there somewhere, but not easy to get at, and unfortunately seems
missing from mythweb.  Being able to create multiple simple rules for the
same show title would solve a lot of cases, like being able to use low
priority for all episodes of a show, but a high priority for new episodes.
I think I have managed to do it by accident somehow, but no simple way
to do so consistently.

--
Len Sorensen