[mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Per Lundberg perlun at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 20:12:21 UTC 2010

Hi!

I saw the web page
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/TaskBrowserBasedSetup today.
Interesting news! I find the current (0.24) way of setting things up
in MythTV is quite lacking in many aspects, so I think there's great
possibilities for an improved "user experience" as this part of MythTV
is being reworked.

Has there been any discussions taking place as to what the chosen
platform for this would be? I'm thinking in terms of web server
platform (PHP, CGI, whatever). Personally, I'd definitely give the
Silverlight (or even Flash, but I have more experience with
Silverlight) platform my vote. It is a much nicer environment for
writing "real" web applications than e.g. PHP with a ton of
Javascript.

On the downside of this, of course, Silverlight doesn't work so well
in a Linux environment yet. Still, I think there are some interesting
points in this. You write Silverlight applications in C# (or VB.NET),
and C# is a whole lot more similar to the C++ in which the rest of
MythTV is written than e.g. PHP. PHP is really a web scripting
language in which no "real" applications should be written; it lacks
the fundamental architecture for such things (IMHO, of course). No
(strong) typing, no compilation... hey, even Java is a much better
option for writing "real" applications than PHP, Python and similar.
At least, it's strongly typed and compiled.

Anyway, regardless of the platform chosen, I think the important part
here is to make the setup process much more "simple". I mean, it
shouldn't have to be much more difficult to configure a (basic) MythTV
setup than to set up your regular STB, really. I imagine we could have
a "wizard" (or perhaps more correctly called "basic" or "simple") mode
for setting the standard things up. Then, for people who need to e.g.
tweak the address of their DiSEqC switch, we can have an option for
viewing these more advanced things. For the rest of us, even having
this configuration option makes us confused and worried that this
setting could be incorrect...

It should Just Work<tm>. Like a Mac. :-)
(For the record, I don't even own a Mac; this is being written in
Iceweasel on a Debian setup)

--
Best regards,
Per Lundberg