[mythtv] Understanding the myth source code

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sat May 29 08:48:37 UTC 2010

On 29/05/2010 09:38, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Do the myth developers agree with me that minimising the amount of
> processing between DVB card and the recording on the HD is a good way
> to go?

I think posing the question in such an open way is not likely to get you
the response you are looking for...

What I would suggest is as my (and Roberts) previous email - yes
continue to investigate the backend end code, but try and look less for
a big bang solution and start by working with the current architecture
and try to start by simply optimising.  I think in the first instance
you will learn a bunch about where the blockages are and why - this in
turn will help coding up larger changes should they be necessary.

I definitely think there is a risk of premature optimisation here and
that the slowdowns are possibly not where you think they are?

Do please continue to investigate though - I think start by
instrumenting the code and show the exact timings of each stage of the
code - you can use this to help show where improvements could be made -
others will likely also help with ideas to make these speedups?

Good luck

Ed W