[mythtv] mythtv commit: r24475 - in trunk/mythtv/programs by gigem

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri May 7 21:25:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 12:52:48PM -0400, ryan patterson wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM,  <mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org> wrote:
> > Extend the SchedOpenEnd feature to optionally avoid scheduling
> > back-to-back programs on the same card even if they are on the same
> > channel. ?Patch from James Hook. ?Closes #8429.
>
> Could you expand on the explanation?  It seems to me that the
> preferred behavior is to schedule back-to-back programs on the same
> channel on the same card (but different virtual tuners).

We await your patch.  Sorry couldn't resist. :)

This sole intent of this change is to optionally get the programs onto
different virtual tuners.  Having those virtual tuners be on the same
card, however, is left as an exercise for the user.  See below.

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 01:13:42PM -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> With this change, I can make the setting "Never" and remove the hard

I think you mean "Always" as in always avoid back-to-back programs.

> Ant-1 Community: English as a Second Language   11.1  08:00 PM   30 mins
> Ant-3 FlashForward: The Negotiation             7.1   08:00 PM   1 hr
> Ant-2 The Vampire Diaries: Founder's Day        44.1  08:00 PM   1 hr
> Ant-4 Parks and Recreation: The Master Plan     11.1  08:30 PM   30 mins
> Ant-1 Fringe: Over There, Part 1                2.1   09:00 PM   1 hr
> Ant-4 The Office: The Chump                     11.1  09:00 PM   30 mins
> Ant-2 30 Rock: Emanuelle Goes to Dinosaur Land  11.1  09:30 PM   30 mins
> Ant-3 The Mentalist: Red Letter                 5.1   10:00 PM   1 hr
>
> Notice that the 8:30 and 9:00 recordings on channel 11.1 are both
> mapped to the same tuner.  Those two programs really need padding
> because the end of one usually runs immediately into the beginning of
> the next.  When I would resolve the hard-padding conflicts, I would
> usually remove the padding from Fringe and Vampire Diaries and keep
> the padding for these two.
>
> Is there a way to modify the recording rule priorities or something
> that would help influence the scheduler toward my preference?

Give the programs the you want grouped together (i.e. different
virtual tuners on same card) the same, relatively high priority.  For
example, give Community/Parks/Office/30 Rock all a priority of 10 and
everything else a priority less than 10.  That should result in
Community on 1, Parks on 2, Office on 1, 30 Rock on 2 and everything
else left on 3 or 4.

David
--
David Engel