[mythtv] Translation mailing list... (was "All translations in 0.23...")

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Sun Mar 28 21:28:43 UTC 2010

Hi Kenni!

Kenni Lund wrote:
> 2010/3/27 Nicolas Riendeau <knight at teksavvy.com>:
>
>>Sorry devs for taking our translation issues to the -dev mailing list but as
>>there are no translation specific mailing list and this is neither a -users
>>or -theming issue there's nowhere else to post about this...
>

> I don't know...as long as the discussion is about code in relation to
> translations, I don't see any issues with it.

Neither do I once it is a confirmed issue...

> It's no different than if it was some coding issue with video decoding. If it was a

In our case the problem could be user error and not actually programming error though...

My first reflex, each time a translation issue comes up is to first if the problem is
with the translation files and not actually with the code. It's only when I'm pretty
sure that it's not an issue with the translation files that I go check the code. In
my case I don't mind checking the code because programming is both my hobby and my
job but not all of the translators are programmers as well...

If there was a translation mailing list then the first place to check when having
translation problems would be the translation mailing list.

You know as well as I do that there are still places in MythTV where it is currently
not possible to translate the text that is shown (a very good example of this is the
Status page in MythWeb which AFAIK comes directly from the backend). How are people
supposed to know that it's not because they are doing something wrong? If you had a
problem translating this page where would you post, -users or -dev or, heaven forbid,
make a ticket?

Yes, I guess we could make a list and post it on the wiki (including info ticket that
might contain patches to correct these issues) but unless a question comes up about
it people would probably forget to update that list.

I have seen questions about translations come up on -dev and on -users and sometimes
even  go off-list (-; ** because people don't seem to know where these should be posted.

** I'm putting a smiley here because we both went off-list for translation problems.

Problems like lupdate not having been run (either on the translator computer or on
MythTV's SVN) have comed up before too as well as people leaving "unfinished" tags on
their translations.

I have seen people (and that once included you) wanting to use essentially deprecated
ways of translating the themes (in the XML files themselves).

I have also seen people having problems with the notion of context in the .ts files
and not understanding why some texts weren't translated (the problem usually occurs
when the themestrings.h are not up to date).

themestrings.h files were also the subject of questions (though people did not know
they were talking about the content of these files) both between translation team
members (I know it was between the member of my team) or between translators.

> discussion on how to interpret the meaning of a string or if X should
> be translated into Y or Z, then I would fully agree. But then
> again...I'm a translator, not a MythTV developer, so I'm not the right
> person to comment on this :)

These questions could go there too since it would a translation/translator mailing list.

I know we (my translation team) in some instance wondered what the other translator
were translating some thing (or how they were dealing with texts that are way longer
than the original text).

There were also places where we wondered what was meant by the original English text.
The "Import Recorder", a new feature of 0.23, was the subject of discussion for
example because we weren't sure exactly what it is/was.

(From info we found in the commit log and elsewhere (cuymedia) it looks like it's a
way to import recordings in MythTV. The problem we where having here is that it was
appearing as a tuner card so we weren't intially sure it was really used for that.)

I know we also had some problems with the use of some of the (new with 0.23) events
as well so we weren't sure how to translate some of them.

> But I agree that a translation mailing list would be good, if we
> should try to improve the internationalization of MythTV.

I know for one I would use it both to help other people and receive help from other
people as well...

Have a nice day!

Nick