[mythtv] All translations in 0.23 (was French translation in 0.23)

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Sat Mar 27 11:21:47 UTC 2010

Hi!

Kenni Lund wrote:
> 2010/3/27 gilles <choteau.gilles at orange.fr>:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I try to compil 0.23 and Tunk (3 tests, 2 computers) and French new
>>translation did not appear (translation use 0.22 version).

It's not only for the French language translation, it's for all the translation
(which have changed since 0.22).

> The language files haven't been generated yet, have a look at the date
> of the *.qm files:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythtv/i18n
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-23-fixes/mythtv/i18n

Gilles, have you received my reply to the email you sent me about this? That's what I
meant when I said that lrelease (or lrelease-qt4) had not yet been run on the
translations. If lrelease is not run the contentn of the .ts files is not copied to
the .qm files and you won't see the updated translations.

The following tools are currently used to make the translation files:

themestrings/themestringstool, which is part of MythTV, is used to extract the
strings from the themes and put them in themestrings.h files which are later picked
up my lupdate (or lupdate-qt4).

lupdate (or lupdate-qt4), which is part of Qt, picks up all the strings in the source
code (including the themestrings.h files which are formatted to look like source
code) and put them in the .ts files.

lrelease (or lrelease-qt4), which is part of Qt, picks up all the original strings
and translations from the .ts files and put them in .qm files which are the files
actually used by MythTV. My guess is that these files are either sorted or indexed to
make the lookup in them as fast as possible. The only other way to make the .qm files
is to use the "release" menu options in Qt linguist.

> I suppose it's because there're some open translation tickets left
> which haven't been reviewed yet. Don't worry, I'm fairly sure a
> developer will do it before releasing 0.23 :)

In ticket 8166 one of the devs said that it will be done before the release of 0.23.
As the current 0.23 isn't actually a release but a "release candidate" that's
probably the reason why it has not been done yet.

I was somewhat expecting the problem since I never saw a commit of the .qm files on
the commit mailing list.

I can understand though that how all these things/tools fit together must be pretty
confusing for non-programmers (not everybody who compiles from source is actually a
programmer).

Kenni, in your planned update of the translation wiki page could you possibly please
give more info on this (something like my reply above where I describe what each tool
does)?

Sorry devs for taking our translation issues to the -dev mailing list but as there
are no translation specific mailing list and this is neither a -users or -theming
issue there's nowhere else to post about this...

Have a nice day!

Nick