[mythtv] MythUI OSD branch and the way forward

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue Mar 23 14:17:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 03/23/2010 12:14 AM, Robert McNamara wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Mark Kendall wrote:
>>

>>> Hopefully that's all sufficiently clear. If not, I'll crawl back into
>>> my hole and brood on it some more:) In case it isn't obvious, I'd like
>>> to move to option 6 as soon as possible - but it's not my decision and
>>> I've spent so long working on it that I may have overlooked the
>>> obvious...
>>>

>> I am all for your approach of option 6.  I don't know if this will
>> ease any tensions or confusions that might arise in reading this, but
>> some of the arguments for this approach in my mind are:
>>
>> * It allows for some extremely fancy UI integration with video,
>> unlocking potential UI capabilities people have often wished for in
>> Myth.
>> * It is the same approach that is used across a wide variety of
>> hardware by XBMC and Boxee, which also do their rendering in GL.
>> * Simpler maintenance of the video output code.
>>
>> The work you have done on the OSD branch is enormous and In my
>> (admittedly biased) opinion, I think that it's better to "measure
>> twice and cut once" as my mother would say-- do it right the first
>> time.  Thanks for all you done, I say "go for it."
>>

> Agreed.  I like option 6--ideally, the first option 6 you mentioned ("Option
> 6 - Drop XVideo/XvMC support and standardise around OpenGL," and not the
> second, "Option 6 - Drop support in stages" :).
>
> Also--keeping in mind that I make no promises here (and am /definitely/ not
> making promises for Mark)--didn't I hear mention that the OpenGL-only
> approach would likely be workable on all NVIDIA GF6x00 cards and above?
>  (Just to give readers an idea of what kind of hardware we're talking about
> here--hardly top-of-the-line stuff.)

In principle, I agree with option 6 as well.  Mike's question hints at
my single question regarding the topic though: does option 6 (first
one) mean that pretty much everyone must have video acceleration
hardware (or else a fairly powerful CPU)?  Or can the thousands of
users that currently use mpeg-2 encoders and have standard-def analog
TVs likely continue with their current hardware (assuming their
current hardware handles the heavier themes in 0.23)?

   Marc