[mythtv] Trac problems?

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Tue Mar 23 05:00:34 UTC 2010

Hi Robert!

Robert McNamara wrote:
  > It still has a chance of getting reviewed, I personally am not seeing
> any issue with trac, but if you like you can post the patch somewhere
> I will download it and review it.

This is the message I am (and others) have been getting:

http://www.cniht.org/mythtv/Internal_Error-MythTV.pdf

This is the patch which I wanted to post

http://www.cniht.org/mythtv/French.tgz

(This is against Trunk...)

and this was the comment I wanted to post on Trac:

<<
Hi Robert!

Sorry for the delay... We have tried to shorten as many sentences as we could in
order to make them fit in the themes and this is the best we could come up with for now.

I sincerely hope it is not too late for 0.23 as this add many new translation to all
the existing translation files that we had for 0.22 and adds translations for
MythNetvision, MythZoneminder and MythMovies (so an svn add will be in order). I have
also included in this diff an update to the French Canadian MythWeb translation.

Thank you very much for your help!

Nick
Member of the French language translation team

> For what it's worth, we've been in the runup to .23 for weeks and
> weeks, we've had a fixed freeze date and we're actually past due on
> our announced release date, and I've been putting in tons of time
> reviewing translations, so it's not as though we cut anyone off early
> or wasted anyone's effort.

I'm sorry, I guess I should have chosen my words more carefully as I did not mean it
as an attack or an insult toward the MythTV developers. It's just that we put so much
time in it that it would be a shame if it did not end up in 0.23...

We were getting ready to upload it to the existing ticket a few weeks ago but we
tried to address the problem of truncated strings we had had complaints about (on the
site that hosts our translation (before it gets uploaded to a ticket) and our mailing
list) which is why Gilles started working on the themes and we started trying to
figure out ways to rephrase some of our translations. I guess in retrospect it might
have been better to submit the patch back then and possibly send an updated patch
later if we had time or wait for 0.24 to make these adjustments).

One of our "biggest" problem is that in French it usually takes a lot more space to
say the same thing than in English unfortunately...

Once again thank you for your help!

Nick