[mythtv] Re Question re Themes

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:36:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> I've been playing with the MythCenter-wide theme which I use.
>
> Two questions:
> 1) Is a particular theme self-contained within its sub-directory? (Can I
> delete the folders I do not use?) Or does MythCenter-wide depend in any way
> upon default-wide?

Yes, themes are self contained *when complete*, but any theme which
lacks a screen, widget, etc. will fall back to default and
default-wide to find it.  You should not/must not delete those two.
The others are fair game.  (You should also not delete the default
OSDs and menu themes, for my money, as you are opening up to potential
breakage when something falls back in a way you don't expect it to and
things break, and it could lead to false/misleading bug reports)
Because neither mythcenter is a full theme, they both require default
and default-wide.

> 2) What, if anything, is the parent-child relationship of the various xml
> files in a theme folder. It appears that some settings given in base.xml are
> picked up and used in, ie schedule-ui.xml, but this is unclear.

See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythUI_Theme_Development for further
info.  base.xml can be thought of as a "include" file that is parsed
at startup and from which widgets and base windows such as the
confirmation dialog, etc. can be inherited/defined.

Robert