[mythtv] Bug #7067, patch updated, please apply...

Davin McCall davmac at davmac.org
Tue Jun 29 11:31:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have once again updated the patch for ticket #7067 so that it applies
cleanly against the current trunk. Many months back I did a lot of work
on this in figuring out what the problem was, and writing a patch. I
then took in and responded to various feedback on my initial version of
the patch, before finally it was noted in the bug that "danielk advised
adding a av-sync patch this late in the cycle is not a good thing".

See: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7067

I've been using the (modified/updated) patch for a long time now with
no visible ill-effects, and it certainly fixes the DVD playback speed
issue. It's been cut down to a minimal patch and it is "obviously
correct" in that it simplifies the code without changing the logic,
other than to fix the original issue (which is that the vsync object
doesn't always get correctly informed of the frame rate). It doesn't do
anything else to the av-sync logic.

I didn't mind holding off the patch until after the 0.24 release because
development was apparently "late in the cycle", but since then I've had
to re-do the patch several times, because conflicting changes get
committed (even though they mess with the same area, for some reason
these changes are ok "late in the cycle").

So, please, please apply it. It's too much work for me to continue
updating the patch when conflicting changes get committed. Even if it's
"late in the cycle" ... just like it apparently was 4 months ago ... the
patch has had a lot of testing, is relatively small, and it solves a
real problem.

Davin