[mythtv] Renewing PostgreSQL support

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 14:37:49 UTC 2010

On 22 June 2010 04:34,  <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>    > Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:58:50 -0400
>    > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>
>    > So, basically the problem here is not that SQL is easier--but that you
>    > haven't submitted patches to make all this easier than even using SQL.
>
> -I've- submitted patches.
>
> They've been rejected.
>
> Losing SQL access would send certain research projects that use Myth
> up a creek without a paddle.  It would also destroy several bits of
> automation that -I- use that the developers have claimed are, for the
> general populace, "useless."  Not "we don't feel like implementing
> this ourselves," but "we refuse to apply them even if they solve your
> problem and don't affect anyone who doesn't use them."

What research project require SQL?
SQL is just an interface, and generally thought of as a bad thing to
use at the Client due to the amount of bandwidth required for it.
It is better to put some middleware in there so one can also add some
integrity and input validation checks, and have the user application
talk to the middleware.
E.g. All web sites out there. Any XML web services.