[mythtv] Regarding EIT

Mark irish at irishmark.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 05:54:21 UTC 2010

On 22 June 2010 05:59, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Per a thread over on -users, I'm playing around with the EIT code
> (0.23) to stop it from constantly scanning for EPG data. However, the
> more I dig into it, I more I feel some aspects need to be discussed.
>
> 1. EIT randomizes the channel scanning sequence. I can't imagine why
> this would be necessary... anyone care to explain? There is a code
> comment "This is so that multiple cards with the same source don't all
> scan the same channels in the same order when the backend is first
> started up" but I think this hurts more than it helps when it comes to
> #2:
>
> 2. I have my single-tuner HDHR set up with 4 "virtual tuners" (for
> multi-rec). This causes 4 EIT threads to all queue up passive scans,
> which is silly on a single tuner. It would make sense if multiple
> threads could scan different sub-channels on the same multiplex
> simultaneously, but the previously mentioned randomization code
> completely defeats this.

I don't run HDHR, I use DVB cards, but I think it's the same; you
don't have to have EIT running on all your virtual tuners, you can set
it to just run on one of them, then I think all your other problems go
away?
I have 3 physical cards, each with dual virtual tuners, giving 6
virtual cards, only one of these runs eit.
If you set dvb_eitscan to zero in the capturecard table on your
virtual tuner it does not run.
I believe it would be an improvement if this was enforced by the UI
for multi-rec tho.

--snip--