[mythtv] Renewing PostgreSQL support

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 21 18:38:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 02:10:01PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> The (Big Ugly) Scheduler Query is too much for SQLite.  We've done tests
> before and it just couldn't hack it.  It may be possible to make it
> work, but we have enough MySQLisms in the code that it's a lot easier
> just to go to an embedded MySQL--and doing so accomplishes some of our
> long-term goals.  Specifically, it would prevent anyone other than the
> master backend from accessing the database (since embedded mysql is not
> a client/server architecture and allows only single-process access to
> the DB)--meaning all clients would have access to all data via the
> protocol and the master backend would be able to ensure data integrity
> without worrying about clients breaking the data.

That sounds pretty nice actually.  Also means less config options on
the client side, which is always a bonus.  It always seemed wrong to
have the client ask if I wanted to do a schema upgrade on the server.

> I hope to start work on embedding MySQL after 0.24 is released.

Having just started using bacula and initially trying to use sqlite,
I certainly found that sqlite easily becomes a huge bottleneck for any
kind of large or busy database.  Going to a real standalone DB solved the
performance problem (I picked postgresql, but mysql was also a supported
option for bacula).

Looking forward to the embedded version.

--
Len Sorensen