[mythtv] Mythweb - why fully qualified URLs?

Manuel McLure manuel at mclure.org
Sat Jun 19 01:54:47 UTC 2010

In looking at the code for MythWeb, I find that a lot of work is done
to generate fully qualified URLs of the form
"http://example.tld/mythweb/dir1/dir2/file.png" instead of using the
simpler "dir1/dir2/file.png" relative URL and letting the browser do
the work of completing the URL. This unfortunately causes problems if
you want to access MythWeb through a proxy server - the virtual
directory mapped on the proxy server has to have the exact same path
as the one on the mythweb server, and proxying from a non-ssl server
through an ssl server fails to work correctly.

For example, if http://server1/mythweb is a non-ssl server, and
https://server2/myth is proxying that URL, the URLs in the returned
page start with http://server2/mythweb - both the protocol and the
path are incorrect. I have fixed the SSL issue by adding an
examination of the HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTO in the code that checks for
SSL in includes/defines.php and making my proxy server set that
header, but I have had to make sure that the proxied path is the same
as the source server path.

I would like to put some effort into removing these fully qualified
URLs and replacing them with relative URLs, but I'm wondering whether
there is some specific reason that this work was put into place.
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,