[mythtv] OSD timeout settings

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 20:42:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Basically, I'd like to take the opportunity to rethink old behaviors and
> improve.  Unfortunately, it seems that inertia may make major improvements
> impossible.  I fully admit that I don't have a plan.  I don't really care
> that much about this particular issue (other than insisting that it's at
> least a complete implementation unlike what we had before).  So, I'll leave
> it up to others.

Exactly right, and exactly my take on this issue.  The only way to
create a truly dynamic UI engine is to tear down the presumptions that
it makes.  Having bunches of different timeouts presumes that the
fixed pieces of information always occur within a fixed number of
named, rigid windows and popups.  Contrast this with something like
XBMC which can, with scripting and theming, be turned into another
application altogether, Boxee.  Both behave profoundly differently,
because the themer is given ultimate control to the finest detail.  We
are a long, long way from being able to do this, and with this kind of
insistence on maintaining legacy behavior, we never will be.

This thread, and the fallout that has associated from it (which none
of you yet realize) has really destroyed my faith that we will ever
get where people like Mark, Stuart Morgan, Me, and Mike dream/dreamed
that we would get.  I think we are really in trouble.

Robert