[mythtv] Worth it to submit ticket w/ patch for tv_play.cpp in 0.23?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sun Jun 6 04:37:23 UTC 2010

I have a patch for a problem where the playback menu isn't always removed from the screen when you change a setting that doesn't provide supplemental OSD feedback. Examples include changing aspect ratio via the "Change Aspect Ratio" submenu or selecting CC1 or CC3 from the "Select VBI CC" submenu. Sometimes the menu is removed, sometimes it isn't. I think it depends on how full the Qt event queue is. There's also a workaround, just press a button that displays something, like I/Info. FWIW, the problem has been there since at least 0.22, maybe earlier. But it wasn't irritating enough and it only recently dawned on me that an unflushed request/event might be the cause.

The fix is quite simple, a one line call to QCoreApplication::flush() near the end of TV::TreeMenuSelected after a call to osd->HideTreeMenu(true), in the 0.23 version of tv_play.cpp.
But I see that things have changed significantly in trunk (TV::TreeMenuSelected is no longer in tv_play.cpp). So I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to submit a ticket & patch for 0.23 for something that IMHO is a nuisance with a workaround, given that the trunk version of tv_play.cpp is so different.

Maybe the problem can be reproduced in trunk, I don't know, and I won't know until trunk becomes a stable 0.24 release. My family depends on MythTV so stability is important and I don't have spare hardware to set up a trunk runtime environment.

So, would a ticket with patch for this problem be helpful? Or, would it just be unhelpful noise?

TIA,
Helen