[mythtv] r25410 makes for huge fonts in setup menus

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 25 13:39:34 UTC 2010

  On 07/25/2010 08:49 AM, David Morrison wrote:
> Yep, 10' UI, got it - it's on a 720p LCD TV.  I've been using it for two
> years.  First part easy:
>
> +--------------+------+----------+
> | value        | data | hostname |
> +--------------+------+----------+
> | QtFontBig    | 24   | mythtv   |
> | QtFontMedium | 20   | mythtv   |
> | QtFontSmall  | 18   | mythtv   |
> | QtFonTweak   | 0    | mythtv   |
> +--------------+------+----------+

Heh, yeah.  With those values the fonts should actually be a little bit
smaller than they were.

> I grabbed a screenshot of r25410 using the Terra theme to have an apples
> to apples comparison ... and it looks fine:
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/dH9zKQ.html
>
> But, normally I use Arclight.  If I switch to that theme, with r25140,
> it looks like this:
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/cuj4uin.html

Agreed.  That's unusable.

> I now suspect that it's a font problem (on my end) that is only made
> manifest by the new code.  I'll investigate a few things on my own.
> Thanks for the tips.

This is what I get with Arclight at r25419:
http://imagebin.ca/view/NmVR8oX.html

The only substantive change in [25410] was hard-coding the font sizes
25, 16, and 12 for the setup stuff.

I'm not sure exactly which fonts are used in the Qt UI (I /think/ it's
the one specified in the theme's qtlook.txt, which means it would be
Frutiger LT Std for Arclight).  The above screen shot is without
Frutiger LT installed on my system, and my system should be falling back
to "DejaVu Sans":

$ fc-list | grep -i frut
$ fc-match 'Frutiger LT Std'

I'll ask Robert about changing the qtlook.txt for Arclight to use one of
the fonts he's now using in the main UI, but it would still be
interesting to find out what's causing this issue for you.  Can you try
changing the font in qtlook.txt and see if using a different font
"fixes" the issue for you?  Also, commenting the font in qtlook.txt
should use whatever font Terra is using (the one specified by your
system Qt theme, maybe?) since Terra doesn't specify a font in qtlook.txt.

Thanks for looking into it, and please let us know what you find.

Mike