[mythtv] Caption font problem

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 06:57:10 UTC 2010

In SubtitleScreen::InitialiseFont(), the caption/subtitle font is
hard-coded to FreeMono.  On my system at least, FreeMono.ttf has a
problem where the 2-character sequence "st" appears as just "t", maybe
with a tiny bit of extra space before the "t".  I guess this is a
strange example of kerning or ligatures.  Other sequences like "ff" or
"fi" also display with kerning.  I see this with EIA-608 closed
captions, and also with text subtitles like .srt files.

First, why is a monospaced font using kerning?  In InitialiseFont(), I
tried adding "newfont.setKerning(false);" and
"newfont.setFixedPitch(true);", but to no effect.

Second, I tried switching the hard-coded font to "VeraMono" which is
present in my system.  Apparently it couldn't be found, even after
copying VeraMono.ttf into the same directories as FreeMono.ttf and
running "fc-cache -f", because captions were now displayed in some
proportional system default font.  I guess I don't know how to manage
fonts in Linux.

Any ideas on how to disable kerning of FreeMono, or how to get Myth to
use a different font for captions?

Jim