[mythtv] Change to People Searches

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 00:51:39 UTC 2010

On 30 January 2010 17:14, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> Unlike title searches, or keyword searches, people searches only match exact
> names. You can't create a rule for 'Baldwin' to record anything starring the
> Baldwin brothers, you need to define rules for 'Alec Baldwin' etc
>
> Is this the behaviour we want to keep? It seems more useful to allow partial
> matches, this avoids problems such as listings providers using different
> variations of the same name. e.g.
> "Robert De Niro"
>  aka "Robert De Niro Jr."
>  aka "Robert DeNiro"
>  "Robert Mario De Niro Jr."
>  aka "Bobby DeNiro"
>
> The above would be covered with a search on "DeNiro" and it's unlikely to
> produce bad matches if you use full names so no regressions.

Could such a "fuzzy" search return an intermediate list of people
matches (if >1), with a link to search each result for programmes or a
checkbox to select a subset of the returned matches?

This way the results page would not be flooded with potentially
irrelevant programme results (this would be more of a problem the more
common the search term is).

Cheers,
Nick

--