[mythtv] go7007 based devices

TJ one.timothy.jones at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 20:03:27 UTC 2010

Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Thursday 21 January 2010 09:07:47 TJ wrote:
>> Jelle Foks wrote:

>>> Yep, I'm on it, but I guess I don't check on it very often ;-)...
>> You sure don't :)
>>
>>> Myself, I'm using a bunch of plextors (with the go7007 chip), both
>>> M402's without tuner and TV402's with tuner on my mythbackend in the
>>> closet, using Ubuntu with a 2.6.31-11-generic-pae kernel and drivers
>>> that I made by combining the driver from the kernel staging tree and an
>>> older version that still worked, as I posted (with more details) on my
>>> blog at http://go70007.imploder.org . Somebody replied on the blog that
>>> it also works on 2.6.32.2, on ARM even... I actually don't know who
>>> maintains the go7007 driver in the staging tree, but I don't think it
>>> was the v4l guys.
>
> Actually, it is. So the linux-media list is the appropriate place to post patches on.
> It is currently maintained by Pete Eberlein from Sensoray.
>
>> Try this patch. It runs against kernel source. I tried it on 2.6.32, 2.6.32-r1
>> and -r2. I basically did some general cleanup on the go7007 driver in the kernel
>> tree, added few standard v4l2 commands and *temporarily* put back in proprietary
>> go7007 ioctls from your package for continued mythtv support. I also added
>> support for ADS Tech DVD Xpress DX2 board (which was the main reason I got into
>> it). It runs well on my DX2 boxes. I've got about 100 of them and am currently
>> testing it on 5.
>
> Please post this as well to the linux-media list. It would be great if someone would be
> willing to do more work on this driver and get it out of staging into the mainline. It's
> getting close, but it's not there yet.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Hans

Hans, My brother, pardon my ignorance, but would you please be so kind and shed
some light for me on which way I should go.

I was in touch with Pete on linux-media list and he's done quite a bit of work
on updating the driver in the current linux-media hg tree.

My patch runs against official linux kernel 2.6.32.x but won't run against hg tree.

So, my thoughts were to go 2 ways:

1. Update my patch against current linux development kernel (2.6.33-rc5? or
-next?) and submit it to be included with the next kernel release. It would
still be in the staging category, but at least people will be able to
immediately take advantage of the following things:

 - ADS Tech DX2 support (which I added, actually ported from some earlier release)
 - Mythtv support (as I included original ioctls)
 - Mythtv will now be able to be patched to use standard ioctls (I also kept and
expanded all standard ioctls)
 - I found and fixt a few minor bugs

2. Keep working against current linux-media hg tree and tell people to hang
tight. This might take a while though, cuz between now and Sept-Oct this year I
won't be able to put a lot of time into it (worken on a big project).

The things I dunno about and would appreciate anyone shedding some light on are:

a. Is the current linux-media hg tree going to be included in 2.6.33 kernel? If
so, then option 1 above is out of the question and I will keep working with Pete
on the current hg driver.

b. If the things didn't change much in the kernel tree since 2.6.32, I can
probably quickly update my patch and submit it for inclusion into 2.6.33.

If that's the case, which kernel should I make the patch against? Should I just
git 2.6.33-rc5?

Who do I submit my patch to?

Again sorry for my ignorance, I don't do much collaborative work, but I am
willing to help out the community. :)

-TJ