[mythtv] Seek (back and forth) broken in MythTV trunk r23186

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 21 22:26:37 UTC 2010

On 01/21/2010 05:17 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/21/2010 10:44 AM, David Engel wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:28:08PM -0500, Newbury wrote:
>>
>>> So exactly *why* did the stickykeys mode get removed? The absolute
>>> jump replacement does not seem too useful to me, especially the
>>> forward version.
>>>
>> I find the absolute jumps equally useful as the relative ones.
>>
>> The fact that you now have the absolute versions bound to left/right
>> instead of the relative versions is an unfortunate consequence of the
>> way we've overloaded some actions.  Currently, the absolute jumps are
>> hard coded to the stick fast-forward/rewind actions and the relative
>> jumps to the seek forward/back actions.
>>

> I'm planning a change that will allow sticky forwards with incremental
> seeks.  I just need some time to finish it.  Doing the change correctly
> allows me to simplify the code rather than adding more code and
> complexity that's as bad as the original setting.

Faster! Faster slave. Damn I knew I shouldn't have left my whip at home!

Seriously, that's good news. I do use (very occasionally) the absolute
jumps, but not often. And it seems natural to jump, if you have set a
time, or ff/rw if you have not. It's a nice over-load of the Left/Right
button. But absolute jumps don't follow that direct relationship.
Absolute jumps, in that respect, are closer to commercial skips. There
is no easy answer however.

So I just want my old way back. And I wannnttt ittt NOW! (stamps foot,
pouts...).

Geoff