[mythtv] Seek (back and forth) broken in MythTV trunk r23186

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 19 06:22:41 UTC 2010

On 01/18/2010 10:10 PM, Newbury wrote:
> On 2010-01-18, at 2:42, "Michael T. Dean" wrote:
>> On 01/17/2010 07:46 PM, agraham wrote:
>>> I just upgraded my mythtv 0.22 to trunk r23186
>>>
>>> It appears that the seek forward and backward is completely broken
>>> when viewing TV recordings.
>>>
>>> Lets suppose while watching any existing record (or live TV) I wish to
>>> jump ahead 5 minutes, I would normally  press 5 then right arrow -
>>> this now always brings me to the end of the record.
>>>
>>> If I try to rewind 5 minutes, I press 5 left arrow and now this always
>>> brings me to the beginning of the recording.
>>>

>>> Not sure when this problem got introduced, or if the logic has changed
>>> but this was a really useful feature.
>>>
>>> Now in order to seek I must use right or left arrow and watch it seek
>>> on screen x3 x5 x10 x20... x180.
>>
>> You had StickyKeys enabled--which allowed you to hit Left/Right once and
>> the player stuck in rewind/fast-forward mode.  There is no longer a
>> StickyKeys setting, so Left and Right are now mapped to the RWNDSTICKY
>> and FFWDSTICKY actions in TV Playback context (which are used for
>> absolute seeks when preceded by numbers).
>>
>> If you want to use incremental seek, you'll need to unmap Left/Right
>> from RWNDSTICKY/FFWDSTICKY and map them to SEEKRWND/SEEKFFWD (i.e.
>> disable the "use Left/Right as sticky keys") or map some other keys to
>> SEEKRWND/SEEKFFWD and use those keys instead of Left/Right for
>> incremental seek.
>
> Ok. Just took a look at the Edit Keys section of Setup. Guess I took
> THREE stupid pills this morning. Kinda slow Getting with the program
> here. Will play more later. Not allowed to type in bed!

Heh, you saw that I did the same thing last night.  :)  But, yeah,
you'll need to use the action names in MythControls (Edit Keys) to
ensure we're talking about the same thing.

So, let's try this again.  The keys listed in keys.txt only apply to the
default binding of keys in MythTV, so anyone with customized key
bindings needs to translate the default bindings listed in keys.txt to
their customized bindings for the documentation to be useful.

That said, when the StickyKeys setting was removed, the key bindings for
users who had StickyKeys enabled were changed such that
SEEKRWND/SEEKFFWD (by default, Left/Right) were no longer bound to any
keys and Left/Right were added to the bindings for RWNDSTICKY/FFWDSTICKY
(which started at--by default--comma and less than/period and greater
than).  This allows the Left/Right keys to work like they did with
StickyKeys enabled (pressing Left starts sticky rewind mode and pressing
right starts sticky fast forward mode) without requiring the user to
remap buttons on their remotes.  It does, however, mean that key
bindings are now customized for those users, so the behavior of
Left/Right differs from that described in keys.txt.

So, basically, your Left/Right are now bound to RWNDSTICKY/FFWDSTICKY
(which keys.txt represents with </>), so they perform the functions of
RWNDSTICKY/FFWDSTICKY.  Straight out of keys.txt:

- < starts sticky rewind mode
    If a jump amount is entered, jump to that position.
- > starts sticky fast forward mode
    If a jump amount is entered, jump that amount from the end.
   While in sticky fast forward or rewind mode.
   - Left/Right increases the ff/rew speed.
   - 0 plays at normal speed, but leaves the time indicator on screen.
   - 1 or 2 plays back more slowly than normal ff/rew speed (1 is slowest).
   - 3 plays back at normal ff/rew speed.
   - 4 - 9 plays back faster than normal ff/rew speed (9 is fastest).
   - Space exits fast forward or rewind mode.

What you /used/ to see was Left/Right being bound to SEEKRWND/SEEKFFWD.