[mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Robert Pfeifer rpfeifer.public at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:08:09 UTC 2010

Here's a suggestion I don't think anybody's mentioned yet. Even if it
doesn't make it into the first version of the rewrite, I think it's
worth raising now, so that the code can be ready to accept it later.

Simply - suppose you have music as both MP3s and video files? It would
be nice to be able to queue your music videos in the MythMusic player as
well as your MP3s. MythMusic could then spawn the internal video player
as appropriate.

After all, the distinction between music and non-music is ultimately one
of content, not filetype, so if MythMusic is to be a music player
plugin, as opposed to an MP3 player plugin :-), it should aim to
incorporate this functionality.

This is something worth considering now, even if it is not implemented
in the first revision, as it highlights other considerations. For
example, it makes it all the more important that the music
play/fastforward/etc. controls are as similar as possible to the video
ones, for a seamless integrated experience.

There might also be implications for MythVideo - MythMusic would
probably want the ability to play the video in the visualiser preview
panel, for example, if the visualiser mode is not set to fullscreen.

Rob