[mythtv] MythXML feature request

Kris Raney kraney at kraney.com
Tue Feb 16 03:00:22 UTC 2010

I'm currently implementing a myth frontend to work within Yahoo! Connected TV. I'm basically confined to making HTTP requests, so the client interacts with MythXML. As a result of this development, I've got a laundry list of features I'd love to see added to MythXML. I'm willing to help as time allows, but since I see that MythXML seems to be under active development I thought I'd better sync up with the active developers. :)

First off I want to say that the functionality that exists is working great. I'm looking forward to the JSON serializer mentioned previously in the mailing list. Also, so far I've been writing / testing against the 0.22-fixes branch, not the trunk, since my myth box gets a fair amount of family use. My apologies if I'm behind the times on MythXML.

So, here's my wishlist:
* An API to query the list of distinct program titles (like the list of shows on the left of the normal mythfrontend)
* An argument to GetRecorded that accepts a program title, and returns only recordings for that particular title (like the list on the right)
* An argument to GetRecording to select a tuner and channel (basically, a 'watch TV' variant of this API.)
* In GetRecorded, for shows that have bookmarks, having the time offset of the bookmark included in the data
* An API to set a bookmark for a recording
* APIs to query scheduled recordings and update the recording schedule

Now, I realize this is asking a lot, but I'm not necessarily asking someone else to do it. I'm willing to submit patches. I just want to make sure that I don't interfere with changes that are underway, and that making these improvements to MythXML is a valid way to proceed that could conceivably get picked up into the trunk. I searched the dev list, and didn't see much discussion of where MythXML is going.

- Kris Raney
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my
lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small
way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of
genius ever created by Man.
        -- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey [SNL]