[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r23487 by danielk

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Feb 7 18:52:12 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 17:45 +0000, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
> >       Author: danielk
> >    Changeset: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23487
> > Start of really porting MythCenter-wide to MythUI.
> some themes include the required fonts, while others (like this one) don't
> should the fonts be included with the theme or not?

OSD themes can include fonts, as we load them directly. But MythUI
currently relies on all fonts being installed as system fonts as it
uses Qt's QFont class to load them and it does not call
QFontDatabase::addApplicationFont() to add any font files to the
list of available fonts. This means that font files included with
the theme are only for the convenience of the user; so that they can
import the fonts using the system specific utilities but do not need
to download them from a 3rd party website. The fonts used in
MythCenter-wide are both widely available fonts for which system
packages already exist. This means the person building the the deb
or RPM package simply adds a line to the dependency list and these
fonts will be automatically installed for the end user. Or if an end
user builds from source they simply need to run something along the
lines of 'apt-get install ttf-liberation ttf-droid'

The plan is to make sure that all the themes that ship by default with
the mythfrontend binary use freely redistributable fonts, since that
is the only way to ensure that the package can be installed from a DVD
or other off-line medium. In the past themes have relied on fonts such
as Trebuchet MS and Arial, but these can not be shipped on a distro
CD/DVD due to no-redistribution licensing clauses. This meant that
packagers could not make the mythfrontend packages depend on these
font packages, which in turn meant most MythTV users were not seeing
the themes as they were intended to look.

-- Daniel