[mythtv] mythtv commit: r23435 - in trunk/mythtv by mdean

David Engel david at istwok.net
Thu Feb 4 17:45:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:32:17AM -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> David Engel <david at istwok.net> says:
> > The long delete problem with ext3 does appear to have been addressed
> > in recent kernels.  I did some very unscientific tests on two
> > different systems running 2.6.31.12 and was able to delete 10 GiB
> > files in roughly 0.20 to 0.30 seconds.  That's still not as good as
> > XFS and others, but it's a lot better than before.
>
> I agree 0.2-0.3 seconds per 10GB is much better than the bad old days,
> but the times are *so* improved that I suspect what you are seeing is
> something else, like caching. Daniel's 2.283 seconds/10GB is much more
> realistic but still improved.

Caching might have played a part in my tests.  After the first tests
looked so good, I specifically tried to flush the disk buffers on
subsequent tests and the results remained consistent.  As I said, my
testing was very unscientific, though, so my simple attempts to flush
the buffers might not have really done so.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net