[mythtv] Ignore DefaultEndOffset in LiveTV record (tv_rec.cpp:NotifySchedulerOfRecording)

David Kubicek foceni at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 23:01:41 UTC 2010

On 02/01/2010 10:16 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/01/2010 03:47 PM, David Kubicek wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> does anybody know what's the reasoning behind ignoring
>> DefaultEndOffset (m_endOffset) in TVRec::NotifySchedulerOfRecording?
>> It's ignored when choosing to record current LiveTV program, but
>> that's how I use DefaultEndOffset most often. :)
>
> Default 'End Late' minutes for new recording rules
> Set this to '0' unless you expect that the majority of your show times
> will not match your TV listings. This sets the initial end late or end
> early time when rules are created. These can then be adjusted per
> recording rule.
>
> As you can see, its purpose it to pre-fill the "End late" value for the
> recording rule editor.  It is not designed to have any effect on the
> scheduler.

That's how it works, yes, but I don't think I get your point. I'll try
an example to illustrate what I mean.

Every time I create a new rule, RecordingRule->m_endOffset defaults to
DefaultEndOffset setting. *Except* for the single record rule created by
triggering "RECORD" in LiveTV.

This is why (libmythtv/tv_rec.cpp):

     // + remove DefaultEndOffset which would mismatch the live session
     rec->GetRecordingRule()->m_endOffset = 0;

My question was what's the reasoning behind this? How does m_endOffset
"mismatch the live session"? I commented it out and I don't see anything
obviously wrong with scheduling or LiveTV.

It doesn't really seem different from exitting LiveTV, setting "End
late" for the active recording and going back to watch. My point is if
there's a configurable default for m_endOffset, why ignore it from LiveTV?

I always set at least 5min "End late" (that's my default), plainly
because our TV stations suck at keeping their schedule. :)

This was added in r13039, that's a long time ago (2007), perhaps it's no
longer necessary. Just asking...

Thank you,

--
David Kubicek