[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r23378 - in trunk/mythtv/themes by danielk

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 15:28:12 UTC 2010

On Monday 01 Feb 2010 15:05:16 Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Is Arial a no-no from a font standpoint?  Are we basically looking for free
> alternatives (which I certainly understand).

It hasn't been in the past, but it has a distinct disadvantage in that it's
not installed by default on any distros. We don't warn users when they are
using a font which doesn't match what was intended so they'd tend to assume
that all the text overruns are down to sloppy design.

I made a genuine mistake in designing Terra around Arial when I'd intended to
find an open source alternative. DejaVu Sans is commonly suggested as a
replacement for Arial but it's metrics are different, characters are subtly
wider and longer strings no longer fit the areas allotted to them.

N.B. Although I have the liberation font package installed, I don't have
Thorndale and I've never seen it either.
--
Stuart Morgan