[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 733c698c0 by Paul Harrison (paul-h)

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:31:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:07 AM, Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv at grunau.be> wrote:
>> Remove -Wno-unused-result which appears to only be available in gcc 4.5.x
>
> compiler options should be added in configure where it will be checked
> if they are supported. That said -Wno-unused-result shouldn't be used at
> all.

First off:  this was tested in gcc 4.4.3 from Ubuntu 10.04.1.  If your
gcc does not support it, you must be using something ancient.

Secondly:  These warnings were turned off specifically for the replex
code.  Unless we want to modify this third-party code to shut those
warnings up, we basically have no choice but to silence those warnings
in this way.  It is better to silence the specific warnings than to
silence all (as we have already done for ffmpeg code) as this is far
more selective, and other warnings will still come through.

Thirdly:  I only added it to the QMAKE_CFLAGS.  This means it only
applies to .c files, not .cpp.

So, what is the alternative?