[mythtv] MythTV woes....

Debabrata Banerjee davatar at comcast.net
Sun Dec 12 17:51:21 UTC 2010

MythTV for some reason checks these tables when recording and playing back,
however they are mostly unnecessary. Mplayer will play back every stream I
can grab from my RNG110 STB, sometimes with a few complaints, but it still
works perfectly. I don't know if the streams are technically non-compliant
(with what?) but it doesn't matter if I can't "watch TV". I updated some of
the wiki's to reflect this information at least.

There's currently no patch that works very well. I have all records and some
playbacks working, but it's not really in a useable or submit-able state.
Regenerating the PMT/PAT on record let's mythbackend at least record the
stream, but it often gets screwed up on decoding, including mythpreviewgen.
Mplayer can still play those files though. The patch itself is a hack,
MythTV needs an option just to ignore this information. I don't really have
time to work on it though.

For your last question - if you can grab video with test-mpeg2 or some other
application, but LiveTV will not get a "signal lock", then it's likely you
don't have valid tables.