[mythtv] [RFC] New Win32 build script

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 16:54:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 07:58 -0800, Robert McNamara wrote:

> But, btw, nice job.  It *does* seem a nice script.  I also notice that
> the script appears to be building Qt and not using the runtime we've
> been using for a while in the other script?

Correct the script fetches and builds Qt 4.7.0.  The reason was that
linking with the current Qt 4.6.3 binaries causes a number of fatal
runtime errors in MythMusic.  These errors are not seen when building
4.7.0 nor on my Linux system with a packaged 4.6.2.  I'm guessing that
there's some kind of thread'ish configuration issue with the current
binaries.

>   If I'm reading right,
> that's going to drastically increase the already-painful duration of a
> Windows build.

The whole process takes about 30 minutes to cross compile starting from
local source archives on my Linux system (Core i5) and about 90 minutes
to build with VirtualBox (configured with 1 CPU & 512MB) running
WinXP-SP3.  Qt accounts for about 75% of that.  The advantage is that
the same compiler/linker handles all the components and the correct
configuration information, like exceptions, rtti etc, is passed through.
It results in a much more stable end result.

Once built, subsequent re-builds of mythtv are very fast, just minute or
so.

If speed is the issue then regularly updated, pre-built packages for
download are preferable.

-- Lawrence