[mythtv] ANNOUNCEMENT: MythTV is moving to Github

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 07:02:51 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Marc Tousignant <myrdhn at gmail.com> wrote:
> This seems to be a limitation of git however and not a limitation of gentoo
> ebuilds.

Umm. it is the ebuild that is creating a local branch.  That would
make the output a function of your ebuild script, and not a limitation
of git itself.

> xen mythtv # git checkout 11ee9c52ab2d639fa316
> Note: checking out '11ee9c52ab2d639fa316'.

Why are you doing this?  Why do you need to specify a precise commit
to build at rather than just building the head of the branch?  I don't
get it.

> Notice when I went to the branch it reported fine, but once I chose to pick
> a specific commit it was no longer sure of the branch.

Correct.  Once you did that, you were in a detached head state.  I can
see if there's something we can do when in this situation, but in the
mean time, I'm not clear on why you want to anyways.

> There is a difference in how the version.cpp generates between a  manual
> sync and an ebuild one.

Yes, as I said, this shows that the ebuild script is creating a local
branch at the detached head.

> const MPUBLIC char *myth_source_path = "exported";

Right.  If git says "no branch", this is what you will see.

> const MPUBLIC char *myth_source_path = "tree-11ee9c52ab2d639fa316";

This is a local branch, and is meaningless to us, mostly.

> const MPUBLIC char *myth_source_path = "fixes/0.24";

This is what it should say.

> const MPUBLIC char *myth_source_path = "branch-fixes/0.24";

This is incorrect.  Your ebuild script is creating new branches
always?  Or what's going on?

> Note the branch- in front of the fixes/0.24 for the ebuild. Also of note, I
> think the -dirty at the end of the ebuild version line is because of 2
> patches that are applied to make the install step work on gentoo.
> I'm pretty sure I could make the ebuild fake the source path instead of it
> pulling the commit if it's a big deal.

The -dirty is because it was built from code with uncommitted changes,
which would be your custom patches.   It's fine to patch things, but
you do realize that this will cause a support issue for any users that
use that ebuild.  We can't support your patches, we don't have them,
and they aren't our code.

Is there anything in those patches that might be best off being merged
in, or is it all Gentoo-isms?

Also, just how many people are making separate ebuilds for MythTV in
Gentoo-land?  Why don't you all put your collective heads together and
do it once? :)