[mythtv] mplayer quality vs myth internal player

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Wed Apr 14 18:59:00 UTC 2010

i converted a dvd to x264 with handbrake (fringe season 1 disk 1 - PAL)
i then decided to watch an episode on my nice big samsung tv
as i don't currently have a frontend there i used upnp to an xbox 360
the quality was absolutely fantastic - nearly as good as HD
i watched the next episode on my desktop machine with myth
the quality was nowhere near as good

so i had a look at the same episode using mplayer and xine
the quality as good

the effect i observed was of accumulated errors - which would disappear
every 5 seconds or so - only to start building up
it seemed to be in areas of slow movement - like a face in closeup

is this a known problem?

machine is an Athlon 64 x2
running a pretty recent trunk build (#24017)
--
simon