[mythtv] Channel ordering wrong in 5.1 (at least for me)

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sat Apr 3 23:18:03 UTC 2010

OK, quick show of hands - how many people have 5.1 output from Myth and
if so is your channel ordering correct?  If so/not can you please state
what audio driver you are using? If Myth works correctly for you, does
mplayer get the channel ordering wrong on your setup?

Using Jack as my output driver I believe I am seeing channel ordering
from Myth as:
     "lf", "rf", "center", "lfe", "lr", "rr"
     (lr = left rear, rf = right front, etc)

What I am expecting is (This is the ordering used by default out of
mplayer/xine):
     "lf", "rf", "lr", "rr", "center", "lfe"

I can easily fix the problem for just the jack layer, but it seems
reasonably likely that this wants adjusting in some smarter way for
everyone I think?

The background to this is that BOTH of the above channel orderings are
"valid", and also it's fairly easy to remap any given device using
alsa/jack.

However, my reading on this suggests that the "Front x2, rear x2, c,
lfe" ordering is the most common arrangement on linux, and in particular
is the Alsa, mplayer, xine default?  Anyone care to comment either way?

Can I see some feedback on who this is working for and who it's broken
for right now so that I can get an idea on best way to go with this?

Thanks

Ed W