[mythtv] VDPAU Fails after 3 prior successful plays

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Mon Sep 28 13:41:07 UTC 2009

On 09/28/2009 08:00 AM, mythtv-dev-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:22:39 +0100
> From: Richard Taylor<richard at artaylor.co.uk>
> Subject: [mythtv] VDPAU Fails after 3 prior successful plays
> To: Development of mythtv<mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> I am using an Acer Revo R3600, nVidia drivers 185.18.36 and Kernel
> 2.6.31 with an svn build of MythTV (svn r.22076).
>
> I have noticed a couple of issues with VDPAU under MythTV - both of the
> below are reproducible on my system.
> I hope to help debug and fix if given an idea of where to start looking.
>
> 1) If VDPAU setup fails, the player does not fall back to the ffmpeg /
> XV setting in the playback settings list, but simply hangs.
> 2) The first 3 times I watch a recording work, at the 4th time of trying
> to watch a recording it will show "Please Wait..." for longer than
> normal followed by a corrupt image of a previously rendered UI screen.
> The only way I have found to remedy this is to kill off mythfrontend and
> restart.
>
> I haven't yet determined whether (2) is time related or not. The system
> is solely used as a frontend, so there is nothing else happening on the
> system.
>
> Any guidance appreciated!
> Kind regards,
> Richard.

Hi Richard,

I've been seeing a similar behaviour (r22082) where on two different
VDPAU front-ends (an IGP 8200, and a Zotac ION)  where, frequently when
starting viewing a recording, I'll get either a previously rendered UI
screen as you describe (such as the last Settings screen I've used) or
just a collage of random images left over in the frame buffer .
Frequently I can hear the recording playing in the background.   When
this happens, I usually find that pressing "w" to cycle through
different zoom options restores the display.

The frequency of these frame buffer images seems to have gotten worse in
the last couple of weeks....  it used to occur only once in a while....
no it's every 2-3 times, and it's one of the only niggly bits I have
left that's effecting WAF in 0.22.

And yes, as you describe, the appearance and duration of "Please
Wait...." is

I had a scan through trac last night, and didn't see anything
relevant...  so it probably needs a new ticket.  I'm using patches 6611
(hdpvr signalmonitor), 6975 (new-audio), 6602 (ringbuffer reset) and
6719 (channel thread).

Phil