[mythtv] Brainstorming a new idea for the program guide

Jay Merrifield fracmak at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 20:45:50 UTC 2009

Hey, was reading up on the new Rovi player and their Liquid program guide
and thought it would be really cool to integrate some of the ideas into the
myth program guide and just wanted to run a few ideas past the developers
before I really dug my teeth in to adding the functionality.

The general idea is illustrated here:

http://www.engadgethd.com/photos/rovis-liquid-guide/2145685/

The first version of the code would essentually be adding a banner to the
epg. What I was thinking of doing is when mythfilldatabase runs, it would
also run ttvdb.pl to grab the url of a banner for all tv programs (and
eventually movies). It would download that banner locally to a similar
location to the channel icons. A new db column on the program table would
have a path to the banner. Then when the EPG is being rendered, if the
option is turned on to display banners, whatever row you're on, would
essentually double in size to make room for the banner art. So if you used
to show 4 rows in the EPG, you'd show 3, with one being double sized. We'd
then display the banner below the text, sized appropriately for the
height/width of the timeslot.

The second version would expand the banner to be used on the schedule page
and other places that seem appropriate. Eventually making it to a new view
of the recordings page so you can pick your shows by banner.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
Jay