[mythtv] mythtv commit: r21860 by danielk

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Sep 15 19:22:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 01:33:48PM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 11:57 -0500, David Engel wrote:
> > announced on the -dev mailing list.  I don't fault you guys for using
> > IRC for discussing things.  Really, I don't.  IMO, however, the best

I should clarify a couple of things.  I'd actually like to hang out on
IRC sometimes.  I've just got too many other irons in other fires that
I couldn't do it regularly, so I don't even try.  That being said, if
something does require my presence on IRC, jut let me know and I'll
make every effort to be there.

> > I'd also hoped to seem some discussion on how to better handle DB
> > fixes in 0.22-fixes and a possible 0.22-plus before things get added
> > to trunk/0.23.  If that discssuion has already happened, see above and
> > please tell me where it is summarized.
>
> If there was discussion I missed it, but my assumption was always that
> 0.22-plus would have a frozen DB schema.

I think we should be very, nay extremely, cautious about schema
updates in -fixes and -plus.  Not allowing any updates, however, is
too absolute, IMO.

The risk of allowing schema updates in -fixes/-plus is that it can
greatly complicate upgrades to trunk.  My proposal is simply to not
allow those upgrades.  As part of making any schema update in
-fixes/-plus, the developer must also provide a corresponding
downgrade path to get back to the original schema.  If trunk ever
encounters an updated -fixes/-plus schema, it should inform the user
of the situation and tell them to downgrade their schema and then try
again.  Eventually, when the next release is closer, we can modify
trunk to support the specific upgrade paths we want to support.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net