[mythtv] Incessant flip/flop of deinterlacer in svn

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Sep 15 10:24:11 UTC 2009

Dave wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I know this has been discussed forever but i think more and more
> broadcasters are transmitting mixed frames to conserve bandwidth leading
> to spamming in mythtv logs (ok, so i can turn verbosity down) when the
> deinterlacer is turned on and off constantly:
>
> [snip]
>
> As there seems to be no fix for this except by manually (not good for
> WAF) turning progressive detection off via the menu, i'm happy to submit
> some sort of temporary bandaid to turn off detection if the rate of
> toggling exceeds a certain threshold within a 10s period (or something
> like that). This seems to be happening on more and more channels and
> becoming somewhat an irritation with jerky motion making me and the
> family dizzy.
>
> Have i missed some post which tells me how to fix this or am i
> approaching this the wrong way ? Any comments welcome.

Tom Dexter had a patch for this that in particular correctly
handled the case of displaying interlaced content to a display
in an interlaced configuration. It would be good to account
for that mode of use while fixing this. (I can't remember
the details now, but I am pretty sure that what he did
never made it to trunk.)

Cheers,
	Paul.