[mythtv] libGL.so linking error when building trunk on openSuse 11.1, may be nvidia related?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Sep 9 13:58:58 UTC 2009

Simon Kenyon wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> <semi-rant or request>
>> It would be SO nice if the Nvidia installer just RE-NAMED the files it
>> touches, rather than just over-writing them. Even better if the 'run'
>> package actually had a --uninstall switch.
>> Anyone at Nvidia read this list???
>> </semi-rant>
>>
> you might have a look at what gentoo does
> they put the nvidia stuff (make install inside a chroot) in its own area
> and have a command "eselect opengl ..." which sets up the correct symlinks
> --
> simon

Thanks for the pointer, but this no longer affects me, except for the
time I spend writing about how to fix the problem. I put an Nvidia card
into my mythbox and I am not going back. So that cannot bite me again. I
have no problems running the  installer on the rare occasions that I
upgrade the mythbox' kernel.

The problem is the grief which this oversight causes for the new user of
the driver. If you do not have an nvidia card installed the result is
catastrophic and not easily reversible. Even if you use an nvidia card
but want to reverse the install, the position is disastrous.

That is just bad software delivery design. Entirely separate issue from
the driver itself, which does a great job!

Geoff