[mythtv] Estetic feelings of changset 22580

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 12:35:02 UTC 2009

2009/10/24 Warpme <warpme at o2.pl>:

>>I think you're in the minority. It sounds like you'd prefer to see
>>no response whatsoever from hitting the Watch Recordings menu option
>>until we can draw the screen with data. Numerous people have commented
>>about the delay in displaying this screen because there was no visual
>>feedback at all that the screen was loading until the time that it
>>actually displayed.
>
> Well, basically I fully agree with remark related to no visual feedback.
> Indeed many users prompted me that this is somehow misleading.
> But current solution, where feedback is done by drawing  empty screen is
> subjectively worse than original behavior.
> Ideally will be to have "Please wait" or something similar.

I would suggest it could display "Retrieving Recordings..." or "Please
Wait..." so that it is consistent with starting LiveTV. I'm not sure
which approach would give the better end user experience - drawing
empty UI screens and then filling them, or having it display a message
and then redrawing all at once when the data is available. I am sure
it will be the opposite of whoever does decide through!

On a related issue, is there are reason why the LiveTV "Please
Wait...." waiting text has 4 periods, and not 3 or an ellipsis char?
Saw mpt talk on usability yesterday, so this niggle is still in my
head.

Cheers,
Nick

--