[mythtv] Estetic feelings of changset 22580

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Oct 24 17:08:38 UTC 2009

* On Sat Oct 24, 2009 at 12:40:09PM +0200, Warpme wrote:
> For playback I have enabled "Always Prompt for initial group filter".
> With 22580, entering "watch recordings" gives:
> -recordings screen with empty lists of recordings/genres
> -after 0.3-0.5 sec dialog with selection of recording groups pops-up
> -user choosing desired recording group

How long is the delay here until the list is displayed?  The list is
currently loaded on-demand.

> -recordings screen with properly filled list of recordings appears
> All testers (3 persons)  perceived this behavior change as direction to
> worse (too much actions on screen)

?? too much?  You mean the fact that the empty screen draws, and then the
popup comes, and then the list fills in?

> If I disable "Always Prompt for initial group filter":
> -recordings screen with empty lists
> -after 0.3-0.5 sec list of recordings is filled with content
> This is also perceived as worse.

I think you're in the minority.  It sounds like you'd prefer to see
no response whatsoever from hitting the Watch Recordings menu option
until we can draw the screen with data.  Numerous people have commented
about the delay in displaying this screen because there was no visual
feedback at all that the screen was loading until the time that it
actually displayed.

There is one more patch that is in my tree that will make this experience
better, but it's not something that will be in the 0.22RC2 or 0.22-fixes
in the near term.  I do plan on putting it into trunk over the weekend
sometime.  The patch makes the recordings data load in the background and
pops up the default animated busy dialog informating the user that the data
is loading so they know what is going on.

What was the delay previously from when you hit the Watch Recordings menu
option until the time the recording list was displayed?

--
Chris