[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r22552 by cpinkham

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Oct 22 21:58:59 UTC 2009

* On Wed Oct 21, 2009 at 09:42:28PM -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> This is definitely an improvement.  However, on my system, there are
> still several seconds of unresponsiveness before the Watch Recordings
> screen appears.  I added some extra logging to try to see where the
> time is going.  Example:

The perceived speed got faster with my first commit, but slightly
slower for some with my second the next day, so you may be one of
the people running into another issue I'm looking at.

> I think it would appear much more responsive if the screen could be
> redrawn with say just the background of watchrecordings window after
> recordings-ui.xml is loaded but before FillList() is called.
> Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to make that happen.  Presumably
> it would just be a one-line change?

I have a patch in my tree that reworks things slightly to try to make
sure we've had ample time to draw the initial screen before we call
Init() and FillList().  It fixes the speed regression that I saw with
my 2nd patch above.  I'm also running a test patch which pops up a busy
dialog during the load so that the user is given feedback that we're
and FillList() are done.  The mai issue I ran into with that is that
Init() runs in the UI thread, so we're blocking the UI during the load
so the busy dialog's animations can't occur.  To fix this, I'm looking
at threading off the actual load of data so we don't block the UI.
When the load is compete, the UI thread would then be able to draw
the loaded data.  The speed fixes will probably go into -fixes soon,
but the threaded load will probably have to stay just in trunk until
after the release.

--
Chris