[mythtv] Incessant flip/flop of deinterlacer in svn

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 16:47:21 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Try this patch for size:-
>>
>> http://mythtv.pastebin.ca/1569343
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Mark
>
> I was going to try replacing my hack (which actually sets the
> m_scan_locked) with a change like changeset 22121 (I'm still on
> 0.21-fixes), but I'm a little confused by that change.
>
> If I'm interpreting that patch correctly, it will still switch to
> progressive if it sees four or more progressive frames after any
> interlaced frames.  The verbose message it generates says "Locking
> scan to Interlaced", but it appears that, after it does that, four
> progressive frames will in fact cause it to switch.
>
> Am I reading that correctly?  Has anyone verified that this sufficient
> to prevent the constant switching for (for example) NBCs dramas that
> tend to do this?  I'm using the new field order deinterlacer which is
> unusable if this switching occurs.
>
> Thanks.
> Tom

I went ahead and tested this change on my 0.21-fixes install.  I've
attached the patch I used which needed to be modified slightly for
0.21-fixes.

So far it appears to work great.  I tried watching NBC stuff (a few
episodes of Heros) and I don't see any switching at all using verbose
playback.

Looks great.  Thanks for the fix Mark!

Tom