[mythtv] [RFC] Proposal: Not to version translations' qm files

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Mon Nov 2 01:21:44 UTC 2009

> That binary data is _generated_ from correctly versioned
> files. There is no point on re-version it.

If you can't easily build the .qm files,
you have to download them from somewhere,
matching the source code and .ts versions.

Its not the end of the world if they don't match
perfectly, but having them in SVN (and versioned)
isn't a huge problem either?

We are saving builders time by giving them .qm files!

> Otherwise we would need to version object files too to account for
> certain OSes not bundling a compiler :)

Heh. Shades of Java there!

A bit different to compiled code, though.
The .qm files seem to be just a binary encoding.
The encoding only changes when Qt fiddles with it.

That said, it isn't the end of the world if we
add another dependence (on qt-translate).

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|"In this city I confess.
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | god is mammon, more is less.