[mythtv] How to determine the audio output type

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu May 21 11:14:43 UTC 2009

Hello

Is there an easy way to detect the audio device type? be it either
digital or analog ?

I was thinking of testing the name of the audio output device and see
if it contains spdif|iec etc.. but it's a rather ugly approach.

The current detection of what the audio stream is done in
mythtv/libs/libmythtv/avformatdecoder.cpp

Currently myth only allows passthrough for AC3 and DTS stream. Some
amplifiers accept direct AAC stream...

I would like to add some support, but the smart type, where the user
doesn't have to configure much.

As such, I need to detect if the audio output currently used is either
a digital output or an analog output.

I was hoping that maybe this information already exist within the
mythtv/audiooutput framework, or maybe there's an easy way to detect
it.

Thanks in advance for the huge flow of answers which I'm sure will
arrive quickly :)

Cheers
Jean-Yves