[mythtv] Compile on Ubuntu 8.04

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue May 19 14:26:08 UTC 2009

2009/5/19 Andreas Fey <com at andreas-fey.com>:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm standing at the very beginning to contribute to MythTV: compiling the
> whole sources. I followed the wiki page [1] to set up the whole stuff, but
> everytime i do the ./configure call, I get the following (maybe trivial)
> error:
>
> "Qt4.4 or newer is required to build MythTV.
> If you think configure made a mistake, make sure you are using the latest
> version from SVN.  If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
> mythtv-dev at mythtv.org mailing list or IRC #mythtv on irc.freenode.net
> Include the log file "config.ep" produced by configure as this will help
> solving the problem."
>
> (config.ep is attached)
>
> Meawhile I installed every package which sounds like qt**, especially every
> one that was mentioned in the wiki - without any process.
>
> So, I would be very glad if someone could help me doing my first "make" :-)
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Andreas
>

> [1] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ubuntu-8.10_Source_Install

Howdy Andrew,

First, welcome to the world of MythTV.

Second, did you try to verify and then resolve your first error
message ("Qt4.4 or newer is required to build MythTV")?  Those kinds
of messages are usually correct :-)  If you didn't know, the command
to verify your version is: aptitude show libqt4-dev qt4-dev-tools or
apt-cache policy qt4-dev-tools libqt4-dev.

Third, for these types of simple problems, the recommended course of
action is to post to the mythtv-users list (forget anything you think
-dev vs. -user might mean.  -user list is populated with a huge number
of people that regularly compile their own and have almost certainly
run into any problem you're going to have).

Have fun,

   Marc

P.S.  I'm guessing your problem is that you are trying to use the 8.10
instructions on an 8.04 system.  If you are going to stay on 8.04, you
likely need to enable backports to automatically pick up Qt 4.4.