[mythtv] iPhone streaming implementation

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 20:02:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Chase Douglas
<chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're missing the point. ffmpeg can probably do all the transcoding needed
> for most clients. However, it does not provide much in the way of stream
> transport. It claims support of rtp for instance, but I've never gotten it
> to work. Your solution works fine if the client just expects a streaming
> media file hosted over http, but not all clients can operate this way.
>
> In summation, there's three main parts to streaming live tv:
>
> 1. Control - Can use and extend MythTV protocol, can probably also be
> universal
> 2. Transcoding - Includes reencoding and remuxing, can probably also be
> universal given ffmpeg is so good at transcoding
> 3. Transport - Definitely not universal, and the method preferred by each
> client will be different. For instance, some clients that handle transport
> almost exactly the same may differ just in how they seek. One client's video
> player may be able to seek on the stream, while another client's video
> player may not and thus would need to request a seek all the way to the
> MythTV server. It's practically impossible to support all clients in a
> one-size-fits-all approach, and it probably makes the most sense to have a
> plugin architecture due to the number of different transport implementations
> I foresee. Maybe plugins aren't absolutely necessary if each transport
> implementation can be enabled or disabled at configure time.

So you asked about specific iphone streaming, which supports http just
fine, I answered that this will work just fine with a few small
tweaks, and now you're asking about general plugin arch? I'm all for a
general streaming engine built into the backend, but I fail to see how
I'm missing the point when the point started as a iphone specific
method which is what I answered about...