[mythtv] New MythTV interface announced!!

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Mon Jun 29 15:49:46 UTC 2009

Rob Smith wrote:

> Sixth, you haven't even addressed the issue that targeting certain
> handheld devices, the recorded media might not work on the device
> (hdpvr captures, etc). It seems like you keep making the assumption
> that the media will be playable on the device, that's not a safe
> assumption.

I'll just single out this issue, but this applies to several of your
other issues - this isn't about playing TV on your android phone.  This
is about playing TV on your mythtv frontend on you TV set, and
controlling that playback from your android phone (or whatever).  This
probably requires more than just a few minor changes to the GUI.

I'd probably go a little further than this proposal and suggest that
maybe what would best address this need is a generic way to handle the
following as separate layers:

1.  Command input.
2.  Metadata display (OSD/Menus/etc).
3.  Video display.

You could then mix/match these in various ways.  Maybe I still want OSD
on the screen, but have it on my remote control as well.  Maybe I want
the OSD only on the remote.  If you design the interface right, then the
current mythfrontend is just one particular case of the ultimate design,
and lots of other options would exist as well.  Maybe I can watch my
show via a flash player in mythweb and still run the OSD and playback
control from my android phone (both on separate networks).

Granted, I'm under no illusions that this is trivial to implement.  But,
it certainly would have quite a few benefits if it could be done!